Clinical Pastoral Consultation
Tres Adames is a pastoral counselor and spiritual care trainer who specializes in working with LGBTQ+ people of faith and also offers consultation to therapists, clergy, and healthcare professionals working with LGBTQ+ clients emerging from harmful religious contexts. An ordained minister and survivor of conversion therapy, Tres integrates his pastoral counseling expertise with his own lived experience, providing an in-depth understanding of the unique challenges faced by LGBTQ+ individuals coming out of unaffirming and even harmful religious contexts. His compassionate approach, combined with his theological and professional expertise, equips professionals to offer their clients holistic care that addresses both their emotional and spiritual well-being.
1. Integrating Spirituality in Client Care
- Ethically integrate a client's faith into their care, even if they hold a faith tradition and perspective different than your own.
- Help clients discover spiritual resources that enrich their spiritual life and mental health.
- Help clients unpack and examine beliefs received from their upbringing.
- Walk with clients through the process of unpacking beliefs that may no longer resonate with them.
- Aid in the process of helping clients rebuild a new spiritual identity that aligns with their authentic self and life goals.
- Recognize factors that can make spirituality and religion harmful to certain clients and groups.
- Understand the psychological and emotional scars that can emerge from harmful religious experiences.
- Support clients as they discover new spiritual perspectives that help them heal and move forward.
- Help LGBTQ+ conversion therapy survivors unpack and challenge harmful ideas around their self-worth and identity received from conversion therapy.
- Assist survivors as they learn to accept and affirm who they are and find a circle of support that offers the same.
- If desired, help survivors reconstruct a spirituality that is life-giving to them and affirming of who they are.
- Dive into an inclusive and compassionate interpretation of scripture that affirm LGBTQ+ identities.
- Understand the historical and cultural contexts of scriptural passages often cited in exclusionary ways, and explore interpretations that champion love, acceptance, and diversity while remaining true to a client's faith tradition.
- Equip clients with theological perspectives that celebrate LGBTQ+ people, emphasizing that all are deserving of love and belonging within spiritual communities.
To schedule a consultation or for more information, please contact Tres here. Thank you for taking the steps needed to create a safe, accepting, and spiritually nourishing environment for your LGBTQ+ clients. Your commitment to their well-being can help shape their journey of self-discovery and healing.